Monday, June 13, 2011

New Born

In the past few days, life have had been very exciting.  A new member is added to the family.  Let us welcome Jacob James (Jay-jay)!!
To celebrate this very special and joyous occasion, I will be posting some recipes specifically for post-natal moms.

Most of these recipes bring back a lot of happy memories because they remind me of my growing years.  The Chinese, like some similar cultures around the world, keeping families under "one roof" is quite a common practise.  Although in this turn of millennium keeping such practise is dissipating in a rapid pace.  Our family used to occupy a big house with 8 rooms and 2 kitchens.  Under one roof, there were 4 families living in it and one of them would be my parents and me.  Luckily some of my aunties left home after they were married.  So you could have imagine the hectic and the joy growing up with uncles, aunties, grandparents and my cousins.  At one stage there were 17 people living there at the same!
My grandparents spoiled us (grandchildren) crazy and everyday seems to be a family reunion.  Anyway I should stop writing about my family history and get right the good stuff - food recipes!

Food is the soul of the house and the main kitchen, being only 4mX3m and one of the smallest space, is the heart, Qi and blood of the house.  Countless recipes born in this match box space.  Few of those can be categorised as the "Confinement Period Food".

In the coming weeks, there will be some interesting recipes with ingredient such as pig hocks and knuckles, black-bone chicken (Silkie), frogs, turtle and placenta.  Sounds radical and off putting?  Don't be.  Besides the last three key ingredients are almost can't get hold on to in Australia anyway.

Interesting read:

  Classic Chinese Cuisine  The Chinese Mind: Understanding Traditional Chinese Beliefs and their Influence on Contemporary Culture  My Grandmother's Chinese Kitchen: 100 Family Recipes and Life Lessons

No comments:

Post a Comment